Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters
Tuesday Jan 08 01:00 PM
Tuesday Jan 08 07:30 PM
Wednesday Jan 09 01:00 PM
Wednesday Jan 09 07:30 PM
Thursday Jan 10 01:00 PM
Thursday Jan 10 07:30 PM
Friday Jan 11 01:00 PM
Friday Jan 11 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Ben Shapiro 2012, USA, 79 mins,
Acclaimed photographer Gregory Crewdson creates surreal, and incredibly elaborate portraits of suburban life. Watch as he sets a house on fire, builds 90 foot sets with crews of sixty, shuts down city streets... all in the service of image-making. Brief Encounters is an intimate portrait of one of the most heralded artists of our time.
Read the New York Times glowing review.
See the trailer.
Thursday Jan 10 at 7:30pm: Special guest speaker
Jay Jensen, Honolulu Museum of Art curator of contemporary art, will introduce the film.
Friday Jan 11 at 7:30pm: Special guest speaker
Professor Emeritus of Art at the University of Hawaiʻi–Mānoa and Honolulu Museum of Art Trustee Duane Preble will introduce the film. The author of the seminal textbook Artforms: An Introduction to the Visual Arts, Preble is a passionate educator as well as an exhibiting artist, influencing generations of Hawai‘i artists. He is also an active community volunteer with a particular interest in recognizing, awakening and nurturing the creative voice in others.
- Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau
- Land of Patagones | Tierra D…
- The Salt Trail + Black Sapph…
- Innersection: Black + Se7en Signs
- The Old, the Young & the Sea…
- Ballet on Screen | Bodas De …
- Mt Zion
- Road to the Globe + Kotiro M…
- White Lies + Maumahara
- Mana Wairoa Māori Shorts
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods
- Opera on Screen | Falstaff f…
- Life Itself
- Finding Fela!
- Family Film Sunday: Take Wing
- 2014 Sundance Film Festival …
- Metro Manila
- Ballet on Screen | Mahler’s …
- A Cube of Sugar | Ye Habe Ghand
- Snow on the Pines | Barf Roo…
- The Orange Suit | Narenji Poush
- The Last Step | Peleh Akher