Saturday May 18 01:00 PM
Saturday May 18 06:00 PM
Tuesday May 21 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Directed by Benito Bautista, Philippines, 2012, 104 mins.
The art of harana—a fast-fading tradition of Filipino serenading—is brought to light in this award-winning documentary from Benito Bautista, whose film Boundary we showcased in last year’s festival. When Florante Aguilar, a classically trained guitarist, returns to the Philippines for the first time in 12 years, he discovers three of the last remaining harana masters: a farmer, a fisherman, and a tricycle driver. In an effort to capture and preserve their melodies and stories, Aguilar asks them to travel with him to perform and record these unheralded songs. As Aguilar and the three haranistas captivate audiences in small villages and prestigious concert halls, the men connect deeply with the past and with one another. Winner: Halekulani Golden Orchid Award, Hawaii International Film Festival; Audience Awards at CAAMFest, Pusan International Film Festival, Dubai International Film Festival, Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival
View the trailer.
Opening-night reception: May 18th, 6-7:30pm. Enjoy I Love Country Cafe Pinoy bento and wine for purchase, and listen to live music. Harana screens at 7:30pm. $15 | $12 museum members.
Pansit bihon, eggplant salad, lumpia shanghai, pork Guisantes and taro custard.
Pansit bihon, eggplant salad, lumpia shanghai, mahi mahi w/ lemon caper sauce and taro custard.
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Family Film Sunday: Azur & Asmar
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana
- PIC Exchange: Road to the Globe
- PIC Exchange: Nā Loea: The M…
- Tokyo Fiancée • Ni d'Eve, ni d'Adam
- Ballet on Screen: Moulin Rou…
- In the Courtyard • Dans la cour
- Girlhood • Bande de filles
- Love at First Fight • Les Co…
- Number One Fan • Elle L'adore
- 3 Hearts • 3 coeurs
- The Young Girls of Rochefort…
- Almost Friends • On a failli…
- The Connection • La French
- Family Film Sunday: Song Of …