Rise and Dream
Sunday May 19 04:00 PM
Sunday May 19 07:30 PM
Tuesday May 21 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Judy-Anne Goldman, Philippines/USA, 2011, 98 mins
This inspirational documentary follows 13 teenagers living in a volatile region of the southern Philippines. They set out to learn the indigenous music of their country to put on a once-in-a-lifetime concert for their community. The students and their families, along with notable Filipino folk musicians, rally to see the concert through. The result is an uplifting and magical tale of hope and creativity and perseverance.
Winner: Audience Choice Award, Thin Line Film Festival
View the trailer.
Special guest: Singer-songwriter Barclay Martin will introduce the film and lead a post-screening Q+A on May 19 at 4pm + 7:30pm and on May 21 at 1pm. Martin composed the music for Rise and Dream and also appears in the film.
- Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
- A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
- Ballet on Screen: Don Quixot…
- Stage on Screen: Great Expec…
- Opera on Screen: Arabella • …
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Family Film Sunday: Azur & Asmar
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana