Maori Boy Genius + Koro's Medal
Saturday Jun 15 06:00 PM
Sunday Jun 16 04:00 PM
Tuesday Jun 18 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
June 15, Opening-night reception: Maori dance performance, food and wine for purchase. 6-7:30pm, $15, $12 museum members.
Maori Boy Genius
Directed by Pietra Brettkelly. Aotearoa, 2011. 83 mins. Hawai‘i premiere.
Obama broke the mold. Bolivia’s Evo Morales broke the mold. Now another mold is being broken in New Zealand—meet 16-year-old Ngaa Rauuira Pumanawawhiti, a revered Maori youth leader, who rails against his people's statistics of uneducated youth, prisons, gangs and alarming suicide rates. At 4 he learned English. At 12 he began his first university degree. At 14 he was accepted into a summer program at Yale University. What if you could turn back the clock and watch the minds forming of those who would create political zeitgeist shifts in the future? Maori Boy Genius does just that.
Official Selection: New Zealand International Film Festival, Berlin International Film Festival, Sydney Film Festival
View the trailer.
Koro’s Medal (short)
Directed by James Barr. Aotearoa, 2011, 14 mins.
While hiding from his brother, Billy drops his grandfather’s precious war medal through a crack in their apartment floorboard into the bookshop below. At first, Billy’s mission is simply to get down to the bookshop to retrieve Koro’s medal, but when two hapless thugs come across it while stealing rare books, Billy is forced to take matters into his own hands.
View the trailer.
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Family Film Sunday: Azur & Asmar
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana
- PIC Exchange: Road to the Globe
- PIC Exchange: Nā Loea: The M…
- Tokyo Fiancée • Ni d'Eve, ni d'Adam
- Ballet on Screen: Moulin Rou…
- In the Courtyard • Dans la cour
- Girlhood • Bande de filles
- Love at First Fight • Les Co…
- Number One Fan • Elle L'adore
- 3 Hearts • 3 coeurs
- The Young Girls of Rochefort…
- Almost Friends • On a failli…
- The Connection • La French
- Family Film Sunday: Song Of …