Song of the Kauri + Whakatiki
Sunday Jun 16 07:30 PM
Wednesday Jun 19 01:00 PM
Thursday Jun 20 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Song of the Kauri
Directed by Mathurin Molgat. Aotearoa, 2012, 100 mins. Hawai‘i premiere.
Kauri are New Zealand’s majestic, mythological native trees. Deeply rooted in the the country’s cultural and economic history, they were nearly eradicated by early settlers and questionable government policies. This striking documentary on the economic and creative potential of this tree walks the tightrope between environmental consciousness and economic sustainability to pose the question: How can native forests yield economic benefit while being maintained and sustaining a healthy balance? Exploring the current perspectives and tensions surrounding sustainable planting of Kauri, and the latent economic and creative potential of these sleeping giants, director Mathurin Molgat tackles a volatile political issue with a poetic and artistic view to finding an outcome that can benefit all.
Official selection: New Zealand International Film Festival.
View the trailer.
Directed by Louise Leitch, Aotearoa, 2012, 12 mins.
Kiri, an overweight Maori woman, takes a trip to the Whakatiki River where she spent summers as a girl. The place awakens powerful memories for Kiri and as tensions mount, she draws on her spiritual connection to the river to rise up and reconnect with her true self.
SPECIAL GUEST: Mathurin Molgat, director and producer of the documentary Song of the Kauri, will introduce his film and lead a post-screening Q+A on June 16 at 7:30 p.m.
- Broadway Musicals: A Jewish Legacy
- Reservoir Dogs • 25th Anniversary
- March of the Living
- Mr. Gaga
- I, Claude Monet
- Donnie Darko • 15th Anniversary
- Cézanne and I (Cézanne et moi)
- The African Doctor (Bienvenu…
- Arctic Heart (Le Secret des …
- He Even Has Your Eyes (Il a …
- After Love (L'économie du couple)
- At Eye Level
- Eva Hesse
- Fukushima, mon Amour
- Scrappin’ | Schrotten!
- Silicon Valley Revolution
- Center of My World
- Stefan Zweig: Farewell to Europe
- Slack Bay (Ma Loute)
- The Death of Louis XIV (La M…
- The 400 Blows (Les quatre ce…
- Maurizio Cattelan: Be Right Back
- Fantastic Planet (La Planète…
- Family Film Sunday: The Litt…
- My Life as a Zucchini (Ma vi…
- Young French Cinema Shorts 2017
- Like Crazy (La pazza gioia)
- Tomorrow (Demain)
- Toni Erdmann
- I, Olga Hepnarová (Já, Olga …
- Fire at Sea (Fuocoammare)
- Ashes and Diamonds (Popiół i…
- Afterimage (Powidoki)
- The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge)