Song of the Kauri + Whakatiki
Sunday Jun 16 07:30 PM
Wednesday Jun 19 01:00 PM
Thursday Jun 20 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Song of the Kauri
Directed by Mathurin Molgat. Aotearoa, 2012, 100 mins. Hawai‘i premiere.
Kauri are New Zealand’s majestic, mythological native trees. Deeply rooted in the the country’s cultural and economic history, they were nearly eradicated by early settlers and questionable government policies. This striking documentary on the economic and creative potential of this tree walks the tightrope between environmental consciousness and economic sustainability to pose the question: How can native forests yield economic benefit while being maintained and sustaining a healthy balance? Exploring the current perspectives and tensions surrounding sustainable planting of Kauri, and the latent economic and creative potential of these sleeping giants, director Mathurin Molgat tackles a volatile political issue with a poetic and artistic view to finding an outcome that can benefit all.
Official selection: New Zealand International Film Festival.
View the trailer.
Directed by Louise Leitch, Aotearoa, 2012, 12 mins.
Kiri, an overweight Maori woman, takes a trip to the Whakatiki River where she spent summers as a girl. The place awakens powerful memories for Kiri and as tensions mount, she draws on her spiritual connection to the river to rise up and reconnect with her true self.
SPECIAL GUEST: Mathurin Molgat, director and producer of the documentary Song of the Kauri, will introduce his film and lead a post-screening Q+A on June 16 at 7:30 p.m.
- The Whole Shebang (Alles Inklusive)
- Munich in India (München in Indien)
- The Circle (Der Kreis)
- Windstorm (Ostwind - Zusamme…
- The Dark Valley (Das finstere Tal)
- Diplomacy (Diplomatie)
- For the Love of Tango
- Ua Mau Ke Ea: Sovereignty Endures
- Opera on Screen | La Ceneren…
- A Conversation with James Iv…
- A Conversation with James Ivory
- 25 to Life
- Shakespeare Wallah
- Bombay Talkie
- Heat and Dust
- In Custody
- Breath of Life + Mālama Maunalua
- Pump + Green Screen Hawai‘i shorts
- DamNation + Ola I Ka Wai + T…
- Ballet on Screen | The Nutcr…
- National Gallery
- Christmas #Catvidfest hosted…
- 20,000 Days on Earth
- Family Film Sunday: Frozen S…
- Soul of a Banquet
- 2014 Sundance Film Festival …
- Stage on Screen | From Here …