The Rain of the Children + The Graffiti of Mr. Tuapaia
Wednesday Jun 19 07:30 PM
Friday Jun 21 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
The Rain of the Children
Directed by Vincent Ward. Aotearoa, 2008, 98 mins.
Vincent Ward’s deeply personal docudrama feature film unravels and reimagines the story of Puhi, the Tuhoe woman he documented in his 1980 film In Spring One Plants Alone. Just 21, Ward was a young art student when he captured the 80-year-old Puhi, who was caring for her schizophrenic adult son. Puhi, who lived a traditional life, believed herself to be cursed. Ward fleshes out the life of this extraordinary woman and explores that curse. Chosen by Tuhoe prophet Rua Kenana to marry his son, Puhi survived the 1916 police raid on Rua’s Maungapohatu community and went on to have 14 children. Cutting between early footage, his own to-camera narration, contemporary interviews with Tuhoe descendents, and magnificently recreated historical sequences (featuring Rena Owen as the older Puhi among a superb cast of Maori actors); Ward reveals both the heart-rending background of Puhi’s belief in the curse, and her lasting power over him.
View the trailer.
The Graffiti of Mr. Tuapaia (short)
Directed by Christopher Dudman, Aotearoa, 2008, 15 mins.
When a Cook Island school cleaner answers an unusual message on the wall of a girls’ toilet cubicle, his life, and the life of the mysterious author, will never be the same again.
View and excerpt from the film.
- 2014 Sundance Film Festival …
- Metro Manila
- Ballet on Screen | Mahler’s …
- A Cube of Sugar | Ye Habe Ghand
- Snow on the Pines | Barf Roo…
- The Orange Suit | Narenji Poush
- The Last Step | Peleh Akher
- Angel Azul
- Opera on Screen | Hansel und…
- Stage on Screen | The Maste…
- Hi Sk8 Films: A Hawai‘i Skat…
- Sold Out | Under the Blood-Red Sun
- Standing on Sacred Ground Fi…
- Bridge to the Future
- Opera on Screen | La Fanciul…
- To Be Takei
- God Help The Girl
- The Internet Cat Video Festi…