Jaws: Changing the Game + Sine Qua Non: The Psychology of Big Wave Surfing
Sunday Jul 07 01:00 PM
Saturday Jul 13 07:30 PM
Thursday Jul 18 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Jaws: Changing the Game
Directed by Wangdu Hovey. USA, 2012, 43 mins.
Between 2007 and 2012, a handful of dedicated surfers achieved what was previously deemed impossible—riding Jaws, aka Pe‘ahi, without a Jet Ski. Follow legendary big-wave surfers DK and Shaun Walsh, Marcio Freire, Danilo Couto, Jeff Rowley, Albee Layer, Matt Meola, Ian Walsh and many others through the historic winter of 2011-2012.
Official Selection: New York Surf Film Festival; Maui Film Festival; Waimea Ocean Film Festival
View the trailer.
Sine Qua Non: The Psychology of Big Wave Surfing (short)
Directed by Richard Yelland. USA, 2012, 24 mins. Hawai‘i premiere.
Sine Qua Non is an intimate portrait of the mind set, risks, and lifestyle associated with pursuing monstrous waves around the planet, seen through the eyes of the world’s most decorated big-wave surfer, Greg Long. The film’s title, Sine Qua Non, is a Latin phrase, which, roughly translated, means, “Without which, [there is] nothing.”
Official Selection: New York Surf Film Festival; Maui Film Festival; San Diego Surf Film Festival; Wavescape Surf Film Festival; Cologne Surf Film Festival
Special guest: Director Richard Yelland will introduce his film on July 13 at 7:30pm
See a behind the scenes clip.
- Metro Manila
- Ballet on Screen | Mahler’s …
- A Cube of Sugar | Ye Habe Ghand
- Snow on the Pines | Barf Roo…
- The Orange Suit | Narenji Poush
- The Last Step | Peleh Akher
- Angel Azul
- Opera on Screen | Hansel und…
- Stage on Screen | The Maste…
- Hi Sk8 Films: A Hawai‘i Skat…
- Sold Out | Under the Blood-Red Sun
- Standing on Sacred Ground Fi…
- Bridge to the Future
- Underwater Dreams
- Moana: The Rising of the Sea
- Opera on Screen | La Fanciul…
- To Be Takei
- God Help The Girl
- The Internet Cat Video Festi…
- Björk: Biophilia Live