Bending Colours + Here and Now
Tuesday Jul 09 01:00 PM
Tuesday Jul 16 07:30 PM
Friday Jul 19 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Kai Neville. USA, 2012, 38 mins. Hawai‘i premiere.
Bending Colours pairs Jordy Smith with friend and filmmaker Kai Neville, in a new project that provides a candid look into the South African surfer’s life. The film follows Jordy as he travels from one wave-rich exotic locale to another, showcasing his world-class talent—in signature Kai Neville fashion—with heavy doses of surf action blended with artistic flair and set against a solid soundtrack.
Winner: Best Cinematography Award, Wavescape Surf Film Festival; Official Selection: New York Surf Film Festival; Aotearoa Surf Film Festival.
Special thanks to Red Bull for providing this film.
View the trailer.
Here and Now
Directed by Nathan Myers. USA, 2012, 43 mins.
More than 25 filmmakers and surfers worked in unison to document the world of surfing in a single 24-hour period: May 2, 2012. From world champs like Kelly Slater and Stephanie Gilmore to free spirits like Dave Rastovich, Ozzy Wright and Alex Knost, this project brings together shapers, photographers, legends and beginners. Some scored big. Others couldn’t find a ripple. It’s all part of the surfing experience. From contests to camping, hanging at home or hitting the road, veteran surf filmmaker Taylor Steele pulls together an epic, international cast to prove the best place to be is here and now.
Winner: Best Picture, New York Surf Film Festival; Official Selection: London Surf Film Festival; Kona Surf Film Festival
View the trailer.
- Munich in India (München in Indien)
- The Circle (Der Kreis)
- Windstorm (Ostwind - Zusamme…
- The Dark Valley (Das finstere Tal)
- Diplomacy (Diplomatie)
- For the Love of Tango
- Ua Mau Ke Ea: Sovereignty Endures
- Opera on Screen | La Ceneren…
- A Conversation with James Iv…
- A Conversation with James Ivory
- 25 to Life
- Shakespeare Wallah
- Bombay Talkie
- Heat and Dust
- In Custody
- Breath of Life + Mālama Maunalua
- Pump + Green Screen Hawai‘i shorts
- DamNation + Ola I Ka Wai + T…
- Ballet on Screen | The Nutcr…
- National Gallery
- Christmas #Catvidfest hosted…
- 20,000 Days on Earth
- Family Film Sunday: Frozen S…
- Soul of a Banquet
- 2014 Sundance Film Festival …
- Stage on Screen | From Here …