Endless Winter: A Very British Surf Movie + Beyond the Scars
Wednesday Jul 10 01:00 PM
Friday Jul 12 07:30 PM
Tuesday Jul 30 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Endless Winter: A Very British Surf Movie
Directed by Matt Crocker + James Dean. UK, 2012, 94 mins.
With its crap weather, the UK is home to one of the most unusual and colorful surf scenes on the planet. In this delightful romp in search of British surfing’s eccentric history, surfers Mark Harris and Mitch Corbett are on a mission; to discover how Californian cool arrived on Britain’s bracing beaches, and grew from splashy summer fun, to a serious obsession with waves. The directors take us to Britain’s iconic surf spots along 5,000 miles of rugged coastline and unravel British surfing’s evolution against a backdrop of vibrant youth culture, civil unrest and unprecedented social change. This film is a must-see for surf fanatics and anglophiles alike. Original soundtrack by Hotel Flamingo with music by Ben Howard, CREAM, Fairport Convention, Manfred Mann, Rory Gallagher and more.
Winner: Best British Surf Film: London Surf Film Festival.
Official Selection: San Diego Surf Film Festival; Waimea Ocean Film Festival; Surfworld International Surf Film Festival; Cologne Surf Film Festival.
View the trailer.
Photo: Californian Cool arrives on Britain's bracing beaches. Some of the UK's first surfers enjoy a sunset surf with visiting American and Australian lifeguards in the early 1960s.
Beyond the Scars (short)
Directed by Chris McClean. UK. 2012. 6 mins.
See what it means to be a coldwater surfer in exposed, freezing corners of the North Sea.
View the trailer.
- Broadway Musicals: A Jewish Legacy
- Reservoir Dogs • 25th Anniversary
- March of the Living
- Mr. Gaga
- I, Claude Monet
- Donnie Darko • 15th Anniversary
- Cézanne and I (Cézanne et moi)
- The African Doctor (Bienvenu…
- Arctic Heart (Le Secret des …
- He Even Has Your Eyes (Il a …
- After Love (L'économie du couple)
- At Eye Level
- Eva Hesse
- Fukushima, mon Amour
- Scrappin’ | Schrotten!
- Silicon Valley Revolution
- Center of My World
- Stefan Zweig: Farewell to Europe
- Slack Bay (Ma Loute)
- The Death of Louis XIV (La M…
- The 400 Blows (Les quatre ce…
- Maurizio Cattelan: Be Right Back
- Fantastic Planet (La Planète…
- Family Film Sunday: The Litt…
- My Life as a Zucchini (Ma vi…
- Young French Cinema Shorts 2017
- Like Crazy (La pazza gioia)
- Tomorrow (Demain)
- Toni Erdmann
- I, Olga Hepnarová (Já, Olga …
- Fire at Sea (Fuocoammare)
- Ashes and Diamonds (Popiół i…
- Afterimage (Powidoki)
- The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge)