Signal Hill Speed Run
Wednesday Jul 10 07:30 PM
Saturday Jul 20 04:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Jon Carnoy + Mike Horelick. USA, 2012, 90 mins. Hawai‘i premiere.
Narrated by Ben Harper and based on the 2008 Los Angeles Times article “Board Out of Their Minds” by Mike Horelick, this film chronicles the birth of the world’s first skateboard race and explores how other 1970s extreme sports—hang gliding, big wave surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding—influenced its development. From 1975 to 1978, the Signal Hill Speed Run was an annual event that attracted more than 5,000, along with television crews and national coverage. The race became a singular microcosm of the exploding skateboard culture worldwide, until a competitor was seriously injured in a 60mph crash, closing down the event. Signal Hill Speed Run shows the evolution of this notorious downhill dash and tells the stories of some of its most fearless competitors.
Official Selection: Santa Barbara International Film Festival; San Luis Obispo International Film Festival; Newport Beach Film Festival.
Special guests: Michelle McNeil, one of the first women to race at Signal Hill, will introduce the film and lead a Q+A along with local downhill skater Kenny Bergstrom on July 10 at 7:30pm.
Michelle McNeil along with Mark Bowden, a former California Free Former also featured in the film, will introduce Signal Hill Speed Run and lead a Q+A with Kenny Bergstrom on July 20 at 4pm.
View the trailer.
- In the Courtyard • Dans la cour
- Love at First Fight • Les Co…
- 3 Hearts • 3 coeurs
- The Chef's Wife • On a faill…
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival 2015
- Opera on Screen • Le Comte O…
- Stage on Screen • Showboat •…
- Honolulu Rainbow Film Festival 2015
- Racing Extinction
- Speechless: A Polar Realm • …
- Shark Girl • México Pelágico
- Into the Gyre • The Plastic Age
- Our Deepest Waters • My Sal…
- Ballet on Screen • Sleeping …
- Opera on Screen • Benvenuto …