Thursday Jul 11 01:00 PM
Saturday Jul 13 01:00 PM
Thursday Jul 18 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Joshua Pomer. USA, 2012, 80 mins. Hawai‘i premiere.
California had been a surfer Mecca for generations, but never seriously considered for its big waves. That changed in 1975, when a Half Bay high school kid named Jeff Clark surfed a 20-foot wave outside of Pillar Point Harbor, just south of San Francisco. His pioneering achievement singlehandedly gave birth to the legend of Mavericks. The story of California’s most notorious big wave is one of triumph and incredible danger and loss. Get an insider’s view of the wave’s discovery and legend, learn about the passion and dedication of surfers like Jeff Clark, Peter Mel, Flea, Shane Dorian, Nick Lamb, Zack Wormhout, Brock Little and Mike Parsons, and honor the sacrifice of men like Mark Foo, Jay Moriarty and others who dared to take on this unforgiving wave.
Official Selection: Santa Barbara International Film Festival; San Francisco Ocean Film Festival; Newport Beach Film Festival.
View the trailer.
- Lo and Behold: Reveries of t…
- Miss Hokusai (百日紅)
- Setoutsumi (セトウツミ)
- Fall Seven Times, Get Up Eig…
- Tekkonkinkreet (鉄コン筋クリート)
- Ran (乱)
- Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto (宮本武蔵)
- Samurai II: Duel at Ichijoji…
- Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu …
- Family Film Sunday: NYICFF B…
- Sweet Bean (あん)
- Our Little Sister (海街 Diary)
- Millennium Actress (千年女優)
- Tokyo Godfathers (東京ゴッドファーザーズ)
- Paprika (パプリカ)
- Soaring HI: Celebrating the …
- Pokémon Double Feature
- You’ve Been Trumped
- I Am JFK Jr. – A Tribute to …
- The Candidate