North of the Sun + El Mar Mi Alma
Friday Jul 12 01:00 PM
Sunday Jul 21 07:30 PM
Wednesday Jul 31 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
North of the Sun
Directed by Jørn Ranum and Inge Wegge. Norway, 2012, 46 mins.
Surfers Inge Wegge and Jørn Ranum spent nine freezing winter months on the isolated, uninhabited bay of a remote, arctic island off the coast of northern Norway. They built a cabin out of driftwood and other cast-off materials and lived off expired food. But the boys brought with them two items of utmost importance: their surfboards. Because the remote bay holds a well-kept secret—some of the worlds finest waves.
Winner: Audience Awards, The Norwegian Documentary Film Festival, Official Selection: London Surf Film Festival; Canadian Surf Film Festival; Waimea Ocean Film Festival; Wavescape Surf Film Festival; Ombak Bali International Surf Film Festival; Aotearoa Surf Film Festival.
View the trailer.
El Mar Mi Alma
Directed by Stephen Jones. Australia, 2011, 55 mins.
In Chile, home to a long and diverse coastline, the sea holds a mystical and poetic, conscious and unconscious place within the cultural fabric. Shot by Hawai‘i-based cinematographer Dave Homcy, this film is an ode to Chile, its people, and the ocean that defines it. Exploring environmental themes and political undercurrents, director Stephen Jones paints a picture of Chile’s beauty and association with the sea, centered on the affectionate and intimate act of surfing.
Winner: Best Cinematography, Yallingup Surfilm Festival; Best Environmental Film, San Sebastian Surfilm Festival; Best Film, North\Northwest Surf Skate Film Fest Hamburg, Official Selection: Hawaii International Film Festival; London Surf Film Festival; Canadian Surf Film Festival; Waimea Ocean Film Festival.
Special guests: Director of Photography, Dave Homcy and star female surfer Crystal Thornburg-Homcy will introduce the film on July 21 at 7:30pm.
View the trailer.
- Mr. Gaga
- I, Claude Monet
- Donnie Darko • 15th Anniversary
- Cézanne and I (Cézanne et moi)
- The African Doctor (Bienvenu…
- Arctic Heart (Le Secret des …
- He Even Has Your Eyes (Il a …
- After Love (L'économie du couple)
- At Eye Level
- Eva Hesse
- Fukushima, mon Amour
- Scrappin’ | Schrotten!
- Silicon Valley Revolution
- Center of My World
- Stefan Zweig: Farewell to Europe
- Things to Come
- Slack Bay (Ma Loute)
- The Death of Louis XIV (La M…
- The 400 Blows (Les quatre ce…
- Maurizio Cattelan: Be Right Back
- Fantastic Planet (La Planète…
- Family Film Sunday: The Litt…
- My Life as a Zucchini (Ma vi…
- Young French Cinema Shorts 2017
- Like Crazy (La pazza gioia)
- PIC Exchange: Mele Murals
- Tomorrow (Demain)
- Toni Erdmann
- I, Olga Hepnarová (Já, Olga …
- Fire at Sea (Fuocoammare)
- Ashes and Diamonds (Popiół i…
- Afterimage (Powidoki)
- The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge)