North of the Sun + El Mar Mi Alma
Friday Jul 12 01:00 PM
Sunday Jul 21 07:30 PM
Wednesday Jul 31 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
North of the Sun
Directed by Jørn Ranum and Inge Wegge. Norway, 2012, 46 mins.
Surfers Inge Wegge and Jørn Ranum spent nine freezing winter months on the isolated, uninhabited bay of a remote, arctic island off the coast of northern Norway. They built a cabin out of driftwood and other cast-off materials and lived off expired food. But the boys brought with them two items of utmost importance: their surfboards. Because the remote bay holds a well-kept secret—some of the worlds finest waves.
Winner: Audience Awards, The Norwegian Documentary Film Festival, Official Selection: London Surf Film Festival; Canadian Surf Film Festival; Waimea Ocean Film Festival; Wavescape Surf Film Festival; Ombak Bali International Surf Film Festival; Aotearoa Surf Film Festival.
View the trailer.
El Mar Mi Alma
Directed by Stephen Jones. Australia, 2011, 55 mins.
In Chile, home to a long and diverse coastline, the sea holds a mystical and poetic, conscious and unconscious place within the cultural fabric. Shot by Hawai‘i-based cinematographer Dave Homcy, this film is an ode to Chile, its people, and the ocean that defines it. Exploring environmental themes and political undercurrents, director Stephen Jones paints a picture of Chile’s beauty and association with the sea, centered on the affectionate and intimate act of surfing.
Winner: Best Cinematography, Yallingup Surfilm Festival; Best Environmental Film, San Sebastian Surfilm Festival; Best Film, North\Northwest Surf Skate Film Fest Hamburg, Official Selection: Hawaii International Film Festival; London Surf Film Festival; Canadian Surf Film Festival; Waimea Ocean Film Festival.
Special guests: Director of Photography, Dave Homcy and star female surfer Crystal Thornburg-Homcy will introduce the film on July 21 at 7:30pm.
View the trailer.
- Khoobsurat • Beautiful
- The Lunchbox
- Kochadaiiyaan: The Legend
- Opera on Screen | The Barber…
- Amira & Sam
- In the Realm of the Senses |…
- The Pornographers | Erogotos…
- American Masters | August Wi…
- Clarissa's Gift screening + …
- Soft Vengeance: Albie Sachs …
- Finding Samuel Lowe: From Ha…
- Through A Lens Darkly: Black…
- From Above • Chasing Shakespeare
- Some Like it Hot • Valentine…
- Family Film Sunday: Khumba
- Nas: Time is Illmatic
- Stop Pepper Palmer
- Stage on Screen | Caesar An…
- Casablanca: Illustrated lect…
- Keeping Up with the Steins
- The Sturgeon Queens
- Magic Men
- 24 Days • 24 Jours: La vérit…
- Disobedience: The Sousa Mend…
- Under the Same Sun
- Theodore Bikel: In the Shoes…
- Sundance ShortsLab: Honolulu…