Hangs Upon Nothing
Saturday Jul 20 07:30 PM
Wednesday Jul 31 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Jeremy Rumas. USA, 2013, 90 mins. World premiere.
Shot entirely on 16mm and Super 16mm film with a Bolex camera with original score by the filmmaker’s band Turbo-fire to Zenith.
This highly anticipated 16mm surf odyssey, more than six years in the making, is a sensory guide to experiencing life as a surfer. Crafted from film to soundtrack by artist-director Jeremy Rumas, the film follows three stories that illuminate how surf and life intersect. Meet Chuck Corbett, a surfer who, at the age of 18, left everything behind to surf the remote atolls of Kiribati; the Jones brothers, who leave Hawai‘i to explore Kiribati and Indonesia in their pursuit of perfect waves; and a group of young local Indonesian surfers from Bali, as they grow up amid a sea of tourism, development, nightlife, and waves.
Special guest: Live narration and performance by director Jeremy Rumas on July 20 at 7:30pm and July 31 at 1pm.
- Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau
- Land of Patagones | Tierra D…
- The Salt Trail + Black Sapph…
- Innersection: Black + Se7en Signs
- The Old, the Young & the Sea…
- Ballet on Screen | Bodas De …
- Mt Zion
- Road to the Globe + Kotiro M…
- White Lies + Maumahara
- Mana Wairoa Māori Shorts
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods
- Opera on Screen | Falstaff f…
- Life Itself
- Finding Fela!
- Family Film Sunday: Take Wing
- 2014 Sundance Film Festival …
- Metro Manila
- Ballet on Screen | Mahler’s …