Sunday Aug 11 04:00 PM
Wednesday Aug 14 07:30 PM
Thursday Aug 15 01:00 PM
Thursday Aug 15 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by David Grohl. USA, 2013, 108 mins.
Deep in the San Fernando Valley, amidst rows of dilapidated warehouses, was rock ’n' roll’s best kept secret: Sound City. This unsung recording studio housed a one-of-a-kind console, and as its legend grew, seminal bands and artists such as Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young, Rick Springfield, Tom Petty, Metallica and Nirvana all went there to put magic to tape. Foo Fighter Dave Grohl explores the history of the fabled Van Nuys recording studio with interviews and performances by iconic musicians who recorded some of rock’s greatest albums at the studio. Sound City doesn’t just tell this rock ’n’ roll shrine’s story, it celebrates the human element of music as Grohl gathers some of rock’s biggest artists to collaborate on a new album. Using Sound City’s legendary analog console, together these artists continue to create musical miracles in a digital world. Official Selection: Sundance Film Festival.
View the trailer.
Photo credit: Sami Ansari, Courtesy of Variance Films/Roswell Films.
- Stage on Screen • Showboat •…
- Honolulu Rainbow Film Festival 2015
- Still Alice
- Racing Extinction
- Speechless: The Polar Realm …
- Shark Girl • México Pelágico
- Into the Gyre • The Plastic Age
- Our Deepest Waters • My Sal…
- Ballet on Screen • Sleeping …
- Exhibition on Screen • Matis…
- Family Film Sunday • Fantast…
- She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry
- Just Beyond Hope
- Opera on Screen • Benvenuto …
- Don’t Think I’ve Forgotten: …