E Haku Inoa: To Weave A Name + Kae
Friday Nov 08 06:00 PM
Saturday Nov 09 01:00 PM
Wednesday Nov 13 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Opening night reception
Nov 8, 6-7:30pm. Join us for Hawaiian food, beer, wine and live music. Guests will also have a chance to see the newly reinstalled Arts of Hawai‘i Gallery. A blessing will be held at 7:30pm before the screening of E Haku Inoa: To Weave A Name.
Ticket includes a Hawaiian-food buffet featuring kalua pig, fried chicken, sweet-sour spareribs, lomi lomi salmon, poi, sweet potato, white rice, haupia and fresh pineapple. Wine and beer will be available for purchase. $35, $30 museum members. Purchase online.
E Haku Inoa: To Weave A Name
Directed by Christen Hepuakoa Marquez. 2013. USA. 57 mins.
In this documentary about identity, family, and memory, filmmaker Christen Hepuakoa Marquez sets out to discover the meaning of her lengthy Hawaiian name, as given to her by her schizophrenic mother. Marquez discovers not only herself within the name, but gains a new perspective on the idea of sanity and how cultural differences can sometimes muddle its definition. Narrating her journey from the islands to Seattle (and from childhood to adulthood), Marquez paints a picture of heartbreak and understanding that stresses the importance of the places we call home, and the power of the things we promise never to forget. Official Selection: CAAMFest, Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival, Guam International Film Festival, Hawaii International Film Festival.
View the trailer.
Directed by Lana Dang. USA. 2012. 10 mins.
A stern father and his two kids must learn to cast down their fishing nets in order to capture a moment of connection.
- Khoobsurat • Beautiful
- The Lunchbox
- Jadoo: Kings of Curry
- Kochadaiiyaan: The Legend
- Ballet on Screen: La Bayadèr…
- Opera on Screen | The Barber…
- In the Realm of the Senses |…
- The Pornographers | Erogotos…
- American Masters | August Wi…
- Soft Vengeance: Albie Sachs …
- Finding Samuel Lowe: From Ha…
- Through A Lens Darkly: Black…
- From Above • Chasing Shakespeare
- Family Film Sunday: Khumba
- Nas: Time is Illmatic
- Stop Pepper Palmer
- Stage on Screen | Caesar An…
- Casablanca: Illustrated lect…
- Keeping Up with the Steins
- The Sturgeon Queens
- Magic Men
- 24 Days • 24 Jours: La vérit…
- Disobedience: The Sousa Mend…
- Under the Same Sun
- Theodore Bikel: In the Shoes…
- Sundance Shorts Lab Honolulu…