E Haku Inoa: To Weave A Name + Kae
Friday Nov 08 06:00 PM
Saturday Nov 09 01:00 PM
Wednesday Nov 13 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Opening night reception
Nov 8, 6-7:30pm. Join us for Hawaiian food, beer, wine and live music. Guests will also have a chance to see the newly reinstalled Arts of Hawai‘i Gallery. A blessing will be held at 7:30pm before the screening of E Haku Inoa: To Weave A Name.
Ticket includes a Hawaiian-food buffet featuring kalua pig, fried chicken, sweet-sour spareribs, lomi lomi salmon, poi, sweet potato, white rice, haupia and fresh pineapple. Wine and beer will be available for purchase. $35, $30 museum members. Purchase online.
E Haku Inoa: To Weave A Name
Directed by Christen Hepuakoa Marquez. 2013. USA. 57 mins.
In this documentary about identity, family, and memory, filmmaker Christen Hepuakoa Marquez sets out to discover the meaning of her lengthy Hawaiian name, as given to her by her schizophrenic mother. Marquez discovers not only herself within the name, but gains a new perspective on the idea of sanity and how cultural differences can sometimes muddle its definition. Narrating her journey from the islands to Seattle (and from childhood to adulthood), Marquez paints a picture of heartbreak and understanding that stresses the importance of the places we call home, and the power of the things we promise never to forget. Official Selection: CAAMFest, Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival, Guam International Film Festival, Hawaii International Film Festival.
View the trailer.
Directed by Lana Dang. USA. 2012. 10 mins.
A stern father and his two kids must learn to cast down their fishing nets in order to capture a moment of connection.
- Broadway Musicals: A Jewish Legacy
- Reservoir Dogs • 25th Anniversary
- March of the Living
- Mr. Gaga
- I, Claude Monet
- Donnie Darko • 15th Anniversary
- Cézanne and I (Cézanne et moi)
- The African Doctor (Bienvenu…
- Arctic Heart (Le Secret des …
- He Even Has Your Eyes (Il a …
- After Love (L'économie du couple)
- At Eye Level
- Eva Hesse
- Fukushima, mon Amour
- Scrappin’ | Schrotten!
- Silicon Valley Revolution
- Center of My World
- Stefan Zweig: Farewell to Europe
- Slack Bay (Ma Loute)
- The Death of Louis XIV (La M…
- The 400 Blows (Les quatre ce…
- Maurizio Cattelan: Be Right Back
- Fantastic Planet (La Planète…
- Family Film Sunday: The Litt…
- My Life as a Zucchini (Ma vi…
- Young French Cinema Shorts 2017
- Like Crazy (La pazza gioia)
- Tomorrow (Demain)
- Toni Erdmann
- I, Olga Hepnarová (Já, Olga …
- Fire at Sea (Fuocoammare)
- Ashes and Diamonds (Popiół i…
- Afterimage (Powidoki)
- The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge)