Let's Play Music: Slack Key with Cyril Pahinui & Friends
Saturday Nov 09 07:30 PM
Sunday Nov 10 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Na'alehu Anthony. 2013. USA. 57 mins.
Cyril Pahinui, son of recording legend Gabby “Pops” Pahinui, is universally recognized as a master of slack-key guitar. This intimate documentary follows Cyril, his friends, and family—which includes some of the best musicians in Hawai‘i—as they play music, talk story and reminisce about Cyril’s legendary father. Featuring Roland Cazimero, Palani Vaughan, Kawika Kahiapo, Dennis Kamakahi, Mike Kaawa, Sonny Lim, Greg Sardinha, Peter Moon Jr., Jeff Au Hoy and Kunia Galdeira. Official Selection: CAAMFest.
Anthony's last feature film, Papa Mau: The Wayfinder, took him far afield on a journey to Micronesia, but he found just as big a thrill filming Let's Play Music in a Waimānalo backyard as he did going to distant Satawal.
Recreating Gabby Pahinui’s famed backyard kanikapila sessions on film “in Waimānalo was one of the most epic shoots we’ve ever done,” says Anthony. “The musical talent of those guys was unmatched. When Uncle Cyril asked Kawika [Kahiapo] to come, Kawika wrote a song about Waimānalo that night. The first time he played it that evening was the take we used. Bang. I’ve been on some cool journeys, but to be able to take part in a film about the legacy of Gabby Pahinui was such a great honor.”
How did he wind up doing the film? "It was a perfect storm," says Anthony. "I had been working on projects with Pacific Islanders in Communication, and they wanted to do another music film, and I said it wsn’t really my thing. Then someome called me who knows Uncle Cyril—they want to do a show. I knew a funder…" And a film project was born.
"One of the important things I wanted to see happen was I wanted Cyril to own the rights to the music and film. Hawaiian artists in general have been shut out of this part of the music business. The film rights for Let's Play Music goes into the Pahinui family legacy."
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana
- PIC Exchange: Road to the Globe
- PIC Exchange: Nā Loea: The M…
- Tokyo Fiancée • Ni d'Eve, ni d'Adam
- Ballet on Screen: Moulin Rou…
- In the Courtyard • Dans la cour
- Girlhood • Bande de filles
- Love at First Fight • Les Co…
- Number One Fan • Elle L'adore
- 3 Hearts • 3 coeurs
- The Young Girls of Rochefort…
- The Chef's Wife • On a faill…
- The Connection • La French
- Family Film Sunday: Song Of …
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival 2015
- Opera on Screen • Le Comte O…
- Stage on Screen • Showboat •…
- Ballet on Screen • Sleeping …