Measuring the World | Die Vermessung der Welt
Monday Dec 16 01:00 PM
Monday Dec 16 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Detlev Buck. 2012. Germany. 119 mins. German with English subtitles.
Daniel Kehlmann’s 2005 bestseller about the exploits of 19th-century scientist Alexander von Humboldt and mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss comes marvelously to life in this offbeat, entertaining historical romp. Their many groundbreaking ways of measuring the world couldn’t be more diverse. Humboldt fearlessly explored remote destinations to document the size and nature of things; Gauss immersed himself in calculations and theorems to explore the inner workings of the world. Dotted with droll humor poking fun at “extreme German-ness,” and beautifully photographed by ace cinematographer Slawomir Idziak (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix), this journey into the exterior and interior worlds of exploration is not to be missed on the big screen. Winner: Best Costume Design, Best Make-up Design: Austrian Film Awards.
View the trailer.
German food truck, 6-7:30pm: The Wurst-Wagen, Hawai‘i's first German food truck, will be outside the theater on Kinau Street serving Teutonic faves such as wiener schnitzel, currywurst, and leberkaese rolls.
- Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau
- Land of Patagones | Tierra D…
- Mt Zion
- Road to the Globe + Kotiro M…
- White Lies + Maumahara
- Mana Wairoa Māori Shorts
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods
- Opera on Screen | Falstaff f…
- Life Itself
- Finding Fela!
- Family Film Sunday: Take Wing
- 2014 Sundance Film Festival …
- Metro Manila
- Ballet on Screen | Mahler’s …
- A Cube of Sugar | Ye Habe Ghand
- Snow on the Pines | Barf Roo…
- The Orange Suit | Narenji Poush
- The Last Step | Peleh Akher