Measuring the World | Die Vermessung der Welt
Monday Dec 16 01:00 PM
Monday Dec 16 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Detlev Buck. 2012. Germany. 119 mins. German with English subtitles.
Daniel Kehlmann’s 2005 bestseller about the exploits of 19th-century scientist Alexander von Humboldt and mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss comes marvelously to life in this offbeat, entertaining historical romp. Their many groundbreaking ways of measuring the world couldn’t be more diverse. Humboldt fearlessly explored remote destinations to document the size and nature of things; Gauss immersed himself in calculations and theorems to explore the inner workings of the world. Dotted with droll humor poking fun at “extreme German-ness,” and beautifully photographed by ace cinematographer Slawomir Idziak (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix), this journey into the exterior and interior worlds of exploration is not to be missed on the big screen. Winner: Best Costume Design, Best Make-up Design: Austrian Film Awards.
View the trailer.
German food truck, 6-7:30pm: The Wurst-Wagen, Hawai‘i's first German food truck, will be outside the theater on Kinau Street serving Teutonic faves such as wiener schnitzel, currywurst, and leberkaese rolls.
- Namets! • Yummy!
- Third is My First • 1st Ko si 3rd
- K'na The Dreamweaver
- That Thing Called Tadhana
- PIC Exchange: Road to the Globe
- PIC Exchange: Nā Loea: The M…
- Tokyo Fiancée • Ni d'Eve, ni d'Adam
- Ballet on Screen: Moulin Rou…
- In the Courtyard • Dans la cour
- Girlhood • Bande de filles
- Love at First Fight • Les Co…
- Number One Fan • Elle L'adore
- 3 Hearts • 3 coeurs
- The Young Girls of Rochefort…
- The Chef's Wife • On a faill…
- The Connection • La French
- Family Film Sunday: Song Of …
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival 2015
- Opera on Screen • Le Comte O…
- Stage on Screen • Showboat •…
- Ballet on Screen • Sleeping …