Friday Dec 20 01:00 PM
Friday Dec 20 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Peter Sehr and Marie Noëlle. 2012. Germany. 140 mins. German with English subtitles.
Lensed by Oscar-nominated cinematographer Christian Berger (The White Ribbon), this lushly art-directed biopic brings fresh energy and a unique style to the story of “Mad King” Ludwig of Bavaria, one of the most fascinating monarchs of modern times. A dreamer, romantic and visionary, Ludwig II is remembered for his uncompromising patronage of the arts (in particular of Richard Wagner), his ingenuous political commitment, his pacifism, idealism and ultimate descent into “madness.” In this epic period piece, directors Peter Sehr and Marie Noëlle expertly trace the fine and personal line between sanity and madness, while exploring, on a grand-scale, the fate of Bavaria, Prussia and France in a period of extreme political turmoil. Winner: Best Young Actor (Sabin Tambrea), Bavarian Film Awards.
Closing-night reception | Dec. 20, 6-7:30pm: Hosted by the German and Swiss Consulates in Honolulu. Enjoy Christmas treats, spiced tea and gelato in the theater lobby before the 7:30pm screening of Ludwig II.
German food truck, 6-7:30pm: The Wurst-Wagen, Hawai‘i's first German food truck, will be outside the theater on Kinau Street serving Teutonic faves such as wiener schnitzel, currywurst, and leberkaese rolls.
- Jellyfish Eyes
- Love Live! The School Idol Movie
- Attack on Titan: Part One
- Bon Lin
- When Marnie Was There
- The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness
- The Misfits: 30 Years of Fluxus
- Battles Without Honor and Humanity
- Ballet on Screen: L'Histoire…
- June Bride: Redemption of a Yakuza
- JACO: A Documentary Film
- Godzilla: The Japanese Original
- Family Film Sunday: Fantasti…
- Attack on Titan: Part Two: E…
- HI Sk8 Films 2015 shorts showcase
- Opera on Screen: The Three T…
- I Am Thalente