Last Saturday Roots in Jazz: Ramana Vieira
Saturday Jul 27 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $40.00
General Admission: $45.00
About the Performance:
Vocalist Ramana Vieira, internationally acclaimed for her fado-inspired world music, performs with her five-piece ensemble.
The California-based Vieira will sing traditional fados that pay homage to the “Queen of Fado,” Amália Rodrigues, along with original songs inspired by the traditions of Portugal and the Portuguese Diaspora.
The evening will include songs from Vieira’s 2010 album, Lagrimas de Rainha—which was praised by Billboard Magazine for its “willingness to take chances” and “soulful, torchy performances”—as well as new compositions written and arranged for their upcoming album, Luso Sol. The group’s new work, sung in English and Portuguese, captures influences from all the countries of Portuguese language and cultural heritage, creating a musical tapestry that ranges from whispering, haunting ballads to hypnotic dance rhythms.
Listen to Ramana Vieira talk about her music on HPR's The Conversation.
- The Glades Project and Panel…
- From Pineapples to Pasties: …
- Pasties Across The Pacific: …
- The Hot Lava Hukilau | A Haw…
- Exhibition closing talk with…
- Healoha Johnston | Hawai‘i C…
- Music of Hawai‘i: Foreseeabl…
- Soirée Edith Piaf
- Shimmy Showcase 2015: Essence
- Shimmy Showcase 2015: The Reveal