Saturday Jun 22 07:30 PM
Tuesday Jun 25 01:00 PM
Thursday Jun 27 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Kihachi Okamoto. Japan, 1968, Japan, 114 mins.
A pair of down-on-their-luck ronin—an ex-samurai and an ex-farmer—get caught up in a complex game of murder and betrayal when they end up on opposite sides of clan intrigue. Based on the same source novel as Akira Kurosawa’s Sanjuro and drawing scenes from Sergio Leone's A Fistful of Dollars (which was in turn inspired by Kurosawa’s Yojimbo), Kill! is a pitch-black action comedy that playfully tweaks samurai film convention and knowingly exploits the genre to hilarious ends.
View the trailer.
June 22 + 27 at 6:30pm, join us for FREE screenings of the following episodes from Samurai 7. Guests who attend the free screenings receive the $2 membership discount to the 7:30pm screenings of Kill!
Special thanks to Kawaii Kon, Hawaiʻi's premiere anime convention.
June 22 at 6:30pm:
Episode 1: The Master (The Murderer)
Due to a past war, the Nobuseri—mechanized samurai bandits—pillage a farming village for food, supplies, women, and children. Three peasants from the village of Kanna—Kirara the water priestess, Komachi her sister, and Rikichi, a farmer—set off to the city to find samurai who are willing to fight off the bandits for rice.
Episode 2: The Pupil
Ukyo, the son of the magistrate, kidnaps Kirara and it is up to Rikichi and Komachi to save her with the help of the two samurai that they recruited—the idealistic Katsushiro and the boisterous cyborg Kikuchiyo. Kambei, a soft-spoken master samurai, also helps to save Kirara even though he is against their cause.
June 27 at 6:30pm:
Episode 9: The Bandits
The Nobuseri captures Kikuchiyo and Kambei comes up with a plan to rescue him. However, the samurai are ambushed and they unexpectedly defeat the bandits with the help of Kyuzo, who joins the group.
Episode 10: The Journey
With the Nobuseri on their trail, Kambei splits everyone into groups of three to take a different route to Kanna Village. Kirara doesn’t trust Kyuzo’s intentions.
- Broadway Musicals: A Jewish Legacy
- Reservoir Dogs • 25th Anniversary
- March of the Living
- Mr. Gaga
- I, Claude Monet
- Donnie Darko • 15th Anniversary
- Cézanne and I (Cézanne et moi)
- The African Doctor (Bienvenu…
- Arctic Heart (Le Secret des …
- He Even Has Your Eyes (Il a …
- After Love (L'économie du couple)
- At Eye Level
- Eva Hesse
- Fukushima, mon Amour
- Scrappin’ | Schrotten!
- Silicon Valley Revolution
- Center of My World
- Stefan Zweig: Farewell to Europe
- Slack Bay (Ma Loute)
- The Death of Louis XIV (La M…
- The 400 Blows (Les quatre ce…
- Maurizio Cattelan: Be Right Back
- Fantastic Planet (La Planète…
- Family Film Sunday: The Litt…
- My Life as a Zucchini (Ma vi…
- Young French Cinema Shorts 2017
- Like Crazy (La pazza gioia)
- Tomorrow (Demain)
- Toni Erdmann
- I, Olga Hepnarová (Já, Olga …
- Fire at Sea (Fuocoammare)
- Ashes and Diamonds (Popiół i…
- Afterimage (Powidoki)
- The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge)