Tuesday Oct 15 05:45 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Directed by Nicolas Roeg. Australia. 1971. 100 mins. Aboriginal, English, with English subtitles.
The contrast between urban life and the natural world lies at the heart of Nicolas Roeg’s visually dazzling drama Walkabout. The plot might resemble a standard fish-out-of-water tale: two city children (the teenage Jenny Agutter and Roeg’s son Luc) stranded in the Australian outback find their way back to civilization with the help of an Aborigine boy. But Roeg and screenwriter Edward Bond made much more than your average wilderness drama, as a shocking act of violence near the story’s beginning makes clear. Intended as a statement on European civilization’s exploitation of the natural world and native cultures, the film maintains an evocative vagueness that usually—but not always—favors poetry over didacticism. The film’s cinematography captures the outback’s stark beauty, and the shift between the sterile city images and the stunning, beautifully composed Australian landscapes provide the film’s single best argument, making the film a vivid and convincing experience.
View the trailer.
Visit hiff.org for more information.
- Mr. Gaga
- I, Claude Monet
- Donnie Darko • 15th Anniversary
- Cézanne and I (Cézanne et moi)
- The African Doctor (Bienvenu…
- Arctic Heart (Le Secret des …
- He Even Has Your Eyes (Il a …
- After Love (L'économie du couple)
- At Eye Level
- Eva Hesse
- Fukushima, mon Amour
- Scrappin’ | Schrotten!
- Silicon Valley Revolution
- Center of My World
- Stefan Zweig: Farewell to Europe
- Things to Come
- Slack Bay (Ma Loute)
- The Death of Louis XIV (La M…
- The 400 Blows (Les quatre ce…
- Maurizio Cattelan: Be Right Back
- Fantastic Planet (La Planète…
- Family Film Sunday: The Litt…
- My Life as a Zucchini (Ma vi…
- Young French Cinema Shorts 2017
- Like Crazy (La pazza gioia)
- PIC Exchange: Mele Murals
- Tomorrow (Demain)
- Toni Erdmann
- I, Olga Hepnarová (Já, Olga …
- Fire at Sea (Fuocoammare)
- Ashes and Diamonds (Popiół i…
- Afterimage (Powidoki)
- The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge)