Thursday Oct 17 08:15 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Directed by Michael Bennett. Canada, New Zealand. 2010. 93 mins. In Cantonese, English, Maori, Samoan, with English subtitle.
With Kiwi films on a roll, director Michael Bennett’s first feature film offers international audiences an exciting, hopeful story about contemporary New Zealand.
Set over five days and nights, this fast-paced drama is the story of lives brought into collision by one event. A rugby league star driving past a deserted car park late at night sees a fight. He intervenes and gets bashed. When a young car thief nicks the man’s apparently abandoned car, he unwittingly starts a chain of events that will change his life and the lives of others, forever. Starring an ensemble cast including Go-Girls’ Alix Bushnell, Sara Wiseman and Sione’s Wedding’s Iaheto Ah Hi, with a soundtrack by Don McGlashan featuring original tracks by Gin Wigmore, Bella Kalolo, and the Phoenix Foundation. Shot entirely in South Auckland, Matariki debuted at the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival.
View the trailer.
Visit hiff.org for more information.
- Ekstra | The Bit Player
- Sana Dati | If Only
- Family Film Sunday: Talk to …
- Afternoon of a Faun: Tanaqui…
- Lenny Cooke
- Opera on Screen: La Bohème f…
- Short Peace
- Le Chef
- Ballet on Screen: La Sylphid…
- Mood Indigo | L'écume des jo…
- Bicycling with Molière | Alc…
- On My Way | Elle s’en va
- The French Minister | Quai d’Orsay
- Chinese Puzzle | Casse-tête chinois
- Queen Margot | La reine Margo
- Picasso’s Gang | La Banda Picasso
- Opera on Screen: Jules Masse…
- Family Film Sunday: See The …