Thursday Oct 17 08:15 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Directed by Michael Bennett. Canada, New Zealand. 2010. 93 mins. In Cantonese, English, Maori, Samoan, with English subtitle.
With Kiwi films on a roll, director Michael Bennett’s first feature film offers international audiences an exciting, hopeful story about contemporary New Zealand.
Set over five days and nights, this fast-paced drama is the story of lives brought into collision by one event. A rugby league star driving past a deserted car park late at night sees a fight. He intervenes and gets bashed. When a young car thief nicks the man’s apparently abandoned car, he unwittingly starts a chain of events that will change his life and the lives of others, forever. Starring an ensemble cast including Go-Girls’ Alix Bushnell, Sara Wiseman and Sione’s Wedding’s Iaheto Ah Hi, with a soundtrack by Don McGlashan featuring original tracks by Gin Wigmore, Bella Kalolo, and the Phoenix Foundation. Shot entirely in South Auckland, Matariki debuted at the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival.
View the trailer.
Visit hiff.org for more information.
- Jellyfish Eyes
- Love Live! The School Idol Movie
- Bon Lin
- Battles Without Honor and Humanity
- Ballet on Screen: L'Histoire…
- June Bride: Redemption of a Yakuza
- JACO: A Documentary Film
- Godzilla: The Japanese Original
- Family Film Sunday: Fantasti…
- Attack on Titan: Part Two: E…
- HI Sk8 Films 2015 shorts showcase
- Opera on Screen: The Three T…
- I Am Thalente
- Rebels of the Neon God
- Stray Dogs
- Goodbye, Dragon Inn
- Opera on Screen: Carmen • En…
- Family Film Sunday: Snuggle …
- Ghost In the Shell: The New Movie
- Act of War: The Overthrow of…