Saturday Oct 19 04:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Directed by Guy Green. USA. 1963. 107 mins.
Charlton Heston stars as ruthless “King” Howland, the head of a Wasp agricultural dynasty, in this a torrid tale of passion and prejudice set in a steamy Hawai‘i. Outspoken, hardheaded Howland sets out to thwart the marriage of his beautiful, defiant younger sister, Sloan (Yvette Mimieux), to a Hawaiian boy, Paul Kahana (James Darren!)—even as Howland carries on an affair with his own brown sugar. When tragedy strikes twice, Howland is forced to either change his beliefs or watch his dynasty disintegrate. Today, the film is an unintentional comedy—as Variety writes, “Darren, despite a rich tan, seems about as 100% Hawaiian as Paul Revere.” Add to that Guy Green’s high-spirited direction and Sam Leavitt’s dramatic, calclating cinematography and you’ve got an entertaining night out.
View a clip from the movie.
Visit hiff.org for more information.
- Reservoir Dogs • 25th Anniversary
- March of the Living
- Mr. Gaga
- I, Claude Monet
- Donnie Darko • 15th Anniversary
- Cézanne and I (Cézanne et moi)
- The African Doctor (Bienvenu…
- Arctic Heart (Le Secret des …
- He Even Has Your Eyes (Il a …
- After Love (L'économie du couple)
- At Eye Level
- Eva Hesse
- Fukushima, mon Amour
- Scrappin’ | Schrotten!
- Silicon Valley Revolution
- Center of My World
- Stefan Zweig: Farewell to Europe
- Slack Bay (Ma Loute)
- The Death of Louis XIV (La M…
- The 400 Blows (Les quatre ce…
- Maurizio Cattelan: Be Right Back
- Fantastic Planet (La Planète…
- Family Film Sunday: The Litt…
- My Life as a Zucchini (Ma vi…
- Young French Cinema Shorts 2017
- Like Crazy (La pazza gioia)
- Tomorrow (Demain)
- Toni Erdmann
- I, Olga Hepnarová (Já, Olga …
- Fire at Sea (Fuocoammare)
- Ashes and Diamonds (Popiół i…
- Afterimage (Powidoki)
- The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge)