Saturday Oct 19 04:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Directed by Guy Green. USA. 1963. 107 mins.
Charlton Heston stars as ruthless “King” Howland, the head of a Wasp agricultural dynasty, in this a torrid tale of passion and prejudice set in a steamy Hawai‘i. Outspoken, hardheaded Howland sets out to thwart the marriage of his beautiful, defiant younger sister, Sloan (Yvette Mimieux), to a Hawaiian boy, Paul Kahana (James Darren!)—even as Howland carries on an affair with his own brown sugar. When tragedy strikes twice, Howland is forced to either change his beliefs or watch his dynasty disintegrate. Today, the film is an unintentional comedy—as Variety writes, “Darren, despite a rich tan, seems about as 100% Hawaiian as Paul Revere.” Add to that Guy Green’s high-spirited direction and Sam Leavitt’s dramatic, calclating cinematography and you’ve got an entertaining night out.
View a clip from the movie.
Visit hiff.org for more information.
- Lo and Behold: Reveries of t…
- Miss Hokusai (百日紅)
- Setoutsumi (セトウツミ)
- Fall Seven Times, Get Up Eig…
- Tekkonkinkreet (鉄コン筋クリート)
- Ran (乱)
- Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto (宮本武蔵)
- Samurai II: Duel at Ichijoji…
- Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu …
- Family Film Sunday: NYICFF B…
- Sweet Bean (あん)
- Our Little Sister (海街 Diary)
- Millennium Actress (千年女優)
- Tokyo Godfathers (東京ゴッドファーザーズ)
- Paprika (パプリカ)
- Soaring HI: Celebrating the …
- Pokémon Double Feature
- You’ve Been Trumped
- I Am JFK Jr. – A Tribute to …
- The Candidate