Rabbit Proof Fence
Saturday Oct 19 07:30 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Directed by Phillip Noyce. Australia. 2002. 94 mins. Aboriginal, English, with English subtitles.
Philip Noyce’s portrayal of Australia’s shameful practice of taking Aboriginal children from their homes to place them in settlement camps to be raised “white”—resulting in the Stolen Generation—is never maudlin. He tackles this devastating attempt to eradicate Aboriginal culture and, eventually, Aboriginal people with the personal story of three half-caste girls. Molly (Everlyn Sampi), her younger sister Daisy (Tianna Sansbury) and cousin Gracie (Laura Monaghan) are taken from their parents in Western Australia under government edict and sent to an institution, where they are subject to physical and emotional abuse as they are taught to forget their families, their culture, and their lives up to that point and re-invent themselves as members of “white” Australian society.
Molly plans a daring escape, and the trio begins an epic journey back home, travelling 1,500 miles on foot with no food or water, navigating by following the fence that has been build across the nation to stem an over-population of rabbits. A New York Times Critics’ Pick.
View the trailer.
Visit hiff.org for more information.
- Broadway Musicals: A Jewish Legacy
- Reservoir Dogs • 25th Anniversary
- March of the Living
- Mr. Gaga
- I, Claude Monet
- Donnie Darko • 15th Anniversary
- Cézanne and I (Cézanne et moi)
- The African Doctor (Bienvenu…
- Arctic Heart (Le Secret des …
- He Even Has Your Eyes (Il a …
- After Love (L'économie du couple)
- At Eye Level
- Eva Hesse
- Fukushima, mon Amour
- Scrappin’ | Schrotten!
- Silicon Valley Revolution
- Center of My World
- Stefan Zweig: Farewell to Europe
- Slack Bay (Ma Loute)
- The Death of Louis XIV (La M…
- The 400 Blows (Les quatre ce…
- Maurizio Cattelan: Be Right Back
- Fantastic Planet (La Planète…
- Family Film Sunday: The Litt…
- My Life as a Zucchini (Ma vi…
- Young French Cinema Shorts 2017
- Like Crazy (La pazza gioia)
- Tomorrow (Demain)
- Toni Erdmann
- I, Olga Hepnarová (Já, Olga …
- Fire at Sea (Fuocoammare)
- Ashes and Diamonds (Popiół i…
- Afterimage (Powidoki)
- The Red Turtle (La tortue rouge)