The Castaway Cowboy
Sunday Oct 20 02:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
About the Film:
Directed by Vincent McEveety. USA, 1974. 91 mins.
James Garner stars as Lincoln Costain, a Texas cowboy visiting 1850s San Francisco when he finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time and winds up being shanghaied, destination unknown. Costain uses his considerable wits to escape and ends up washed ashore in Hawai‘i. Rescued by Henrietta MacAvoy (Vera Miles), a widowed potato farmer, Costain quickly surveys the situation and convinces the widow MacAvoy to try some of his tried-and-trusted Texas techniques in an attempt to salvage her ranch. He then has to persuade the skeptical local workers as well.
The Castaway Cowboy is typical Disney family fare, with a competent cast and engaging storyline. Robert Culp co-stars as an unscrupulous banker with designs on the MacAvoy property, as well as on Henrietta. Filmed in Hawai‘i, the scenery is eye-catching and overall, The Castaway Cowboy is an enjoyable film. Cast includes Nephi Hannemann.
View the trailer.
Visit hiff.org for more information.
- Afternoon of a Faun: Tanaqui…
- Lenny Cooke
- Opera on Screen: La Bohème f…
- Short Peace
- Le Chef
- Ballet on Screen: La Sylphid…
- Mood Indigo | L'écume des jo…
- Bicycling with Molière | Alc…
- On My Way | Elle s’en va
- The French Minister | Quai d’Orsay
- Chinese Puzzle | Casse-tête chinois
- Queen Margot | La reine Margo
- Picasso’s Gang | La Banda Picasso
- Opera on Screen: Jules Masse…
- Family Film Sunday: See The …
- Uranium Drive In
- Unacceptable Levels