Gideon’s Army + 16 Seeds
Friday Feb 07 07:30 PM
Tuesday Feb 11 07:30 PM
Wednesday Feb 12 01:00 PM
Doris Duke Theatre
Museum members: $8.00
General Admission: $10.00
About the Film:
Directed by Brenda Bell Brown. USA. 2013. 96 mins.
Travis Williams, Brandy Alexander and June Hardwick are three young public defenders in the Deep South who are challenging the assumptions that drive a criminal justice system strained to the breaking point. Backed by charismatic Jonathan “Rap” Rapping, who heads the Southern Public Defender Training Center (now Gideon’s Promise), they struggle against long hours, low pay and staggering caseloads. Nearly 50 years after the landmark Supreme Court ruling Gideon vs. Wainwright that established the right to counsel, can these courageous lawyers revolutionize the way America thinks about indigent defense and make “justice for all” a reality?
Official Selection: Sundance Film Festival, New Zealand International Film Festival. Winner: Audience Award (Non-fiction) and Knight Grand Jury Prize, Miami International Film Festival.
Sponsored by the African American Lawyers Association of Hawaii.
View the trailer.
16 Seeds (short)
Directed by Melinda James. USA, 2012. 20 mins.
Meet three inspirational individuals at the forefront of the movement in their communities to reclaim food and our connections to it.
View the trailer.
- Jellyfish Eyes
- Love Live! The School Idol Movie
- Attack on Titan: Part One
- Bon Lin
- When Marnie Was There
- The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness
- The Misfits: 30 Years of Fluxus
- Battles Without Honor and Humanity
- Ballet on Screen: L'Histoire…
- June Bride: Redemption of a Yakuza
- JACO: A Documentary Film
- Godzilla: The Japanese Original
- Family Film Sunday: Fantasti…
- Attack on Titan: Part Two: E…
- HI Sk8 Films 2015 shorts showcase
- Opera on Screen: The Three T…
- I Am Thalente